14 February 2015

Airia One

I was asked if I'd review a pair of Airia One running shoes. 

airiarunning.com

The day before I ran my 10.5km roo+lake I tried on the shoes and took them for a 1km spin around the block. The forefoot felt quite wide for my foot but otherwise comfortable enough if not a little unorthodox, the shoe last has the toe forefoot angled forwards presume to encourage toe or fore foot strike. The sole is firmer Vibram rubber than most shoes without too much cushioning.
It seemed to perpetuate a tippy tappy sound as they stuck the ground, perhaps more like a tennis shoe but runners who are used to the barefoot type shoes will be more accustomed to them than I.
Next morning I took them for a proper 10.5km run.
I'm normally a forefoot striker judging by my wear patterns so I suspect that the shoes were pretty much reinforcing my typical foot strike. After about 5km I was accustomed to them and didn't take much more notice.
I wonder if prolonged wearing of these shoes might benefit people with plantar fasciitus ? I had terrible trouble with my  right foot 2/3 years ago lasting about 18 months! I have been suffering with PF in the left foot for the last year but I have found over the last couple of months wearing the Stassburg Sock in bed overnight has had a very beneficial effect. The sock effectively pulls the toes up and is supposed to prevent scar tissue building up in the fascia overnight. It makes sense that running in shoes anatomically designed to hold the foot in a similar position could be beneficial.
Did they make me run any faster? Hard to say after a one off test but I did run faster than any other roo+lake this week!
New shoes = new touch areas, left me with a few blisters but nothing that wouldn't get ironed out in a couple of runs!
The funny thing is comparing them to my existing shoes.
My new shoes have only done about 70km whilst my old shoes ( now retired) have done 1200km and the thing is how my old shoes seem to have morphed anatomically into the Airia foot last! Look how the toe and has curled up!











1 comment:

coach dion said...

They look nice...

and I would love to give a pair a little run around the block